Sunday, December 26, 2010

NOVEMBER 2010

1. We Live - Superchick
2. Martha Ann - David Karsten Daniels
3. Earthquakes and Sharks - Brandston
4. Serpentine - Chris Bathgate
5. Put a Penny in the Slot - Fionn Regan
6. Rock and Roll - Eric Hutchinson
7. For Emma - Bon Iver
8. Timshel - Mumford and Sons
9. Down the Drain - Will Dailey
10. Jar of Hearts - Christina Perri
11. Ghosts - Trevor Hall
12. We Don't Eat - James Vincent McMorrow

1 comment:

Kyle A. Carr, M.D. said...

Colby:
Superb collection! Once again, my musical horizons have been broadened. Thank you!
1. Superchic/Superchick have been labelled "Christian rock," a descriptor that may chase listeners away. This would be a shame. As you have demonstrated with this tune, they do indeed rock. I like the message, too!
2. A nicely stripped-down tune. Women's names as song titles are abundant, but this is my first "Martha Ann."
3. Two notable elements in this song: killer disco guitar (yes, disco; it works, baby!), and clever lyrics. "Warn ya"/"California"? Yeah!
4. Lovely and spare.
5. A ditty.
6. I thought I might have encountered this tune. I did some research. This song was on the soundtrack of "The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants 2." So, no, I don't think I have encountered it. I sure liked it!
7. Great song with great harmonies.
8. Timshel, Hebrew for "thou mayest," as in, "Thou mayest rule over sin." Not "will" or "won't", but "mayest." Free will, a gift - or curse? - from the Creator. And a great song.
9. A good song with somewhat angry, clever lyrics. My cup of tea.
10. O.K. I have heard this song before. Where? "So You Think You Can Dance." Seriously. (It's not my fault. Betsy makes me watch it!)
11. Trevor does have a unique voice. (He has paired with Matisyahu, another artist delivered to me via UPOMS...)
12. A great, poetic, closer.
Outstanding work! Thank you!
"Uncle" Kyle