Sunday, December 26, 2010

DECEMBER 2010

1. Bellbottoms - The John Spencer Blues Explosion
2. Hey Bo Biddle - 7 Walkers
3. Tighten Up - The Black Keys
4. Maybe Next Year - Corey Smith
5. Orange Blossoms - JJ Grey and Mofro
6. I'm Not afraid to Die - Gillian Welch feat. Willie Nelson
7. Baby Boomer -Monsters of Folk
8. Another Friday Night - David Ackles
9. That's Some Dream - Good Old War
10. In the Sun - Joseph Arthur
11. Swing Gently - Leona Naess
12. Happy as the Sun - Tyrone Wells

1 comment:

Kyle A. Carr, M.D. said...

Mary:
What a splendid collection. Thank you!
1. Chaotic, yes. Man, did I love the strings!
2. Deadish in a good way, I think.
3. I too dig the guitar. "Under My Thumb" definitely comes to mind.
4. Awesome for at least 2 reasons: cool - and personally familiar -lyrics; and great mandolin.
5. Another great driving tune from the Gray clan. I hadn't heard of these guys. They remind me a bit of Storyville (SRV's band post SRV).
6. I grew up with Willie Nelson; he pairs well with this artist. (Check out the back cover of Willie's "Stardust" sometime, and imagine how frightened a conservative person, like my mom, would be to purchase said product).
7. This definitely has a "My Morning Jacket" vibe. (Aside: I am not a huge fan of "American Dad," but there is a rather hilarious episode wherein Stan, the protagonist, becomes a My Morning Jacket groupie).
8. Elvis Costello - a personal fave - loves (loved?) David Ackles, and has covered him on his program "Spectacle." This is a really beatiful, really sad tune.
9. Another ditty. The central theme is quite compelling.
10. A very good song. The gratest song ever? No; that is "Hotel California." Sorry!
11. A beautiful penultimate tune.
12. Boy, do I love this song! I found the music and lyrics online and plan on adding it to my limited guitar repertoire.
Mary: Awesome disc! Interestingly, the 2 UPOMS discs I felt compelled to share with Betsy were Ginger's disc and your disc. (Well, I also shared mine, kind of accidentally. As implied by my guest UPOMS liner notes, a not-to-be-repeated mistake...)
UPOMS: Thank you! From "Mudhouse" to "Happy as the Sun," a musically delightful experience. Happy New Year!
Uncle Kyle