1. 99 Problems - Hugo
2. So Far From Your Weapon - The Dead Weather
3. Born Again - Cory Chisel and the Wandering Sons
4. Broke Down - Radio Moscow
5. Sweet Disposition - Temper Trap
6. Mountain Man - Crash Kings
7. Hannah - Freelance Whales
8. How You Like Me Now - The Heavy
9. Stonewall - Run On Sentence
10. On Time - The Disco Biscuits Feat. TuPhace
11. Awake My Soul - Mumford & Sons
12. Hell or High Water - William Elliot Whitmore
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
UPOMS: Where do you guys go to find new music? I ask because I am really digging my UPOMS year.
Andy: THIS DISC IS AWESOME! No hate. Much love.
1. Jay-Z + banjo = well, this song. I have way more than 99 problems. My Betsy isn't one.
2. Weird. I really like The Dead Weather and The Raconteurs, but I just couldn't get into The White Stripes. I presume Jack White is a genius, regardless.
3. Yup. Boss + Dylan. (Caution: A recent HBO documentary was created exploring the creation of "Darkness at the Edge of Town." If you worship Springsteen, avoid at all costs).
4. Sabbathy riffs, for sure. But friends, I was a teenager in the 70's. It wasn't awesome. Except for Dick Nixon and disco music, of course. They were both AWESOME!
5. I would crank this tune to 12. That's one more than 11.
6. Crash Kings rule.
7. True, a "poppy" tune. I would file this with all of my Madonna albums. (If you don't get this reference, you need to watch more "Family Guy")
8. Commercial use contaminates my perception of music. Donna's find, "Home," by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, has a completely new vibe to me now that the NFL has applied it to their commercials. Having said that, to completely digress: Go Lions!
9. Another cup of tea for me. Can I see Chris Gray playing this? Yes. Yes I can.
10. See? Disco makes everything, including the 70's, awesome!
11. How fickle my heart? Yup. You could throw this onto a Simon and Garfunkle album without blinking an eye.
12. Poetry. Thematically, one could argue this song belongs with Madonna's best. But I kid. A perfect closer.
Andy/Mary/Madison: Hope all is well! I hope we will see you soon! Come heck or high water!
Uncle Kyle
Andy,
As with Alicia's disc, I always look forward to new stuff from you. We have similar tastes in music, and you've lead me down the path to explore several bands (Modest Mouse, Cold War Kids etc.) and this time was no exception. This disc was a treat, but noting where I am starting my review, it's apparent I had to ease into it.
3. Born Again - The strumming guitar gives you something to bite into, but when those keyboards roll in, they got you. This is a solid entry. Nice handclap chorus.
4. Broke Down - Happily agree with Kyle, these guys are doing a great amalgamation (?) of Sabbath, Deep Purple and Cream. Why i liked this and not #2 I can't explain - Love the guitar solo - Awesome! 3rd Fav
5. Sweet Disposition - I have heard this one before, but I have always liked this song - Epic Indie Rock. It's execution, Big Sound, is such a treat. 2nd Fav
6. Mountain Man - This was my big discovery, just like you called, and for everyone who reads this (Kyle) i recommend you dig into this band. Great Stuff!!! #1 Fav
7. Hannah - This ones a favorite in our house. We play Iron DJ and this song was the winner (Josh, Kylie's ex) that weekend.
8. How You Like Me Now - I had heard the bit from the TV commercial, but complete song was a treat. Love that old James Brown sound. Great singer. 6th FAV
9. Stonewall - What a different sound/feel to this song! Love the achey trumpet solo. The upright bass. Reminds me of a song leaking out of one of the bars in New Orleans French Quarter. Then explodes at the end. 5th FAV
10. On Time - Knew of this band, but didn't know they were actually Disco throwbacks. Didn't like it at first as they singer sounded like Kanye (to me) and I can't stand him. Also, the Auto-Tune was a turn-off. But the song (this is going to sound bad) goes straight to your butt. It's a rump shaker
11. Awake My Soul - Another favorite band in this house. This is a band to look out for. This is a great song dude, words, music all of it. 4th Fav
12. Hell or High Water - Just so-so to me. The whiskey soaked vocals have some appeal, but just doesn't take me over the top.
Again, this disc ranks well against your previous volumes. Loved the addition of different sounds (as you've done before). Please keep up the good work and the blogging, (like me)you're an endangered species.
Post a Comment