Wednesday, September 29, 2010

AUGUST 2010

1. Wig in a Box - Polyphonic Spree
2. Dreadlock Holiday - 10cc
3. 40 Miles from Denver - Younder Mountain String Band
4. Our Retired Explorer - The Weakerthans
5. Don't Haunt this Place - Rural Alberta Advantage
6. The Mama Papa - Plants and Animals
7. I Like You Right from the Start - NQ Arbuckle
8. I'll Give You A Ring - The Novaks
9. Growing Younger - Michou
10. Saints at the Gate - The Golden Dogs
11. Texico Bitches - Broken Social Scene
12. We Dance to Yesterday - Hawksley Workman

2 comments:

Kyle A. Carr, M.D. said...

Alisha:
I enjoy your disc big-time! These songs were truly obscure to me; I have some new artists to seek!
1. This sure is a theatrical piece. Why would you imagine Ginger working with it? (tee-hee)
2. 10cc produced some really memorable 70's music. "The Things We Do for Love" opened my ears to what harmony really does to a pop song (You all probably know what I'm saying. "The things we do for love, the things we do for love, AHHH Ah, Ah Ah," or something like that...) While I don't like or love cricket, I do like this tune.
3. Mandolin! Bluegrass! Yee Haw!
4. Tres bien!
5. Interesting lyrics, and really interesting percussion.
6. I can see Bun E. Carlos banging away on the kit on this tune. Also: I had a fever. The prescription? This song! (Well, the cowbell in this tune, anyway...)
7. I could - can - picture Chris Gray singing this tune. Great tune.
8. One word: Wooooo!
9. This has a 60ish vibe. I think it's the backing vocals (dada da da!). Another tune that will force me to expand my Canadian musical horizons beyond Rush. Well, Rush and Loverboy...
10. Another strikingly theatrical tune. Do I sense a theme? This reminded me - a bit - of My Chemical Romance.
11. I really love songs with tremendous dissonance between lyrics (be-yotches) and music (fun!). This one works!
12. This would be a great double-header with The Hooter's "And We Danced". Catchy? Heck, yeah!
Bonuses (boni?): I know that bonus tracks are discouraged/forbidden. Regardless, these bonus songs (along with Ginger's bonuses) were great dessert!
Alisha: Outstanding work! Best wishes to the Gray Family! Hope the new digs are still working!
Uncle Kyle

Anonymous said...

Alicia,

I've always told you that our music tastes run a similar course most of the time. This disc has that same feel to me, like I could have put most of these tracks on my disc. Really enjoyed it Alicia, one in particular is perhaps my favorite song all year (including my own disc!). And don't hate me please, but I had to cut track 5(THAT I LOVE!) from the official UPOMS archive - Girl! It was on your guest member's disc (Melissa) last year. Not a lot of rules with this club, but repeating a song is strictly enforced. Luckily for me you included some bonus tracks (which is not to suggest encouraging bonus tracks all you non-12ers - you know who you are) so for the record, i'm calling Sea Lion Woman by Feist your 12th song, I hope that's cool. 'nuff with that, here's my thoughts:

1. Wig In A Box - Great starter, so unusual, gets your attention from the get-go. Reminds me of what a day in the life of Elton John might be like. Hee hee

2. Dreadlock Holiday - I love this song! yet it still ranks 2nd to my Fav. Pretty good reggae from a bunch of brits. And the Chorus is sublime. 2nd Fav

3. 40 Miles... - Bluegrass tunes to me range from good to lame, yet to hear a great one. This one is at the high end of good.

(5) LOVE IT, but alas...repeat awwww.

5. The Mama Papa - Punky tune. Reminds me of a 70's band called Television, especially the guitar. Grows on you. 5th Fav

6. I Liked You Right From the Start - HOLY SHIT IS THIS A GREAT (not good, GREAT) SONG. Everything rubbed me the right way. FAV of the disc and (perhaps) the year!!!

7. I'll Give You A Ring - Early T.P. and the Heartbreakers had to be an influence on this band. His vocals and an homage to Mr. Petty. 4th Fav

8. Growing Younger - This was in a tight race for 2nd. They're like a happier version of Death Cab. The harmonies and handclaps sold me big. 3rd Fav.

9. Saints at the Gate - Like it. Crazy ass vocals. Gets a bit chanty in the middle but saved by a wicked guitar solo.

11. We Dance To Yesterday - Like the energy.

12. Sea Lion Woman - Starts out quirky, ends quirky. Again with the handclaps

Not to sound like a psychologist, but the reflective, 'looking back, looking forward' theme of this disc was obvious. Denver? Retired? Mama Papa (Grandparents)? Growing Younger? and finally We Dance to Yesterday? Either you got a midlife crisis brewing or you are subconsciously nostalgic. Either way we're better for it, 'cus this was a fun disc to listen too. Thank you-