1. Chiken and Biscuits - Colt Ford
2. Keep on Lovin' you - Steel Magnolia
3. Alcohaulin' Ass - Hellyeah
4. The House That Built Me - Miranda Lambert
5. The High Road - Broken Bells
6. Itchycoo Park - The Small Faces
7. Fourth of July - Dave Alvin
8. The Best of Time - Sage Francis
9. Brother Down - Sam Roberts
10. Float On - Modest Mouse
11. The Martian Boogey - Brownsville Station
12. Smoke Smoke Smoke - Doc & Merle Watson
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Here's a chunk of theater, based on a true story. The names have been changed to protect the identities of the true participants.
Reeta: I hate Dire Straits. I hate Mark Knopfler.
Kile: Dire Straits is a great band. Mark Knopfler is a great guitarist.
Reeta: Anyone - and mean anyone - who appreciates Dire Straits or Mark Knopfler, on any level, is mentally defective.
(End Scene)
You may not believe this, but I wrote that play all by myself!
Anyway, the point is, the question is, does savage criticism of beloved music damage relationships with lovers of said music? The answer will be found at the end of this post.
Greg: Not surprisingly, I dug your disc! It did compel me - as all UPOMS discs have thus far - to do some research on unfamiliar sources. Comments below reflect some contemporaneous research. UPOMS is cool AND makes you smarter!
1. Great tune to kick-start your CD! (I hadn't heard of Colt Ford. I checked him out on the Internet. I don't want to be unkind, but he may want to think about working on a tune called, "Carrots and Celery and Low-Fat Dressing")
2. This is a really lovely song. Steel Magnolia has roots in karaoke. Who'd a thunk it?
3. Is this technically "groove metal?" It is a great party tune.
4. This is also a very sweet song. I bet your kids will hear this and think of home. (I will file this song with my Madonna albums, by the way...)
5. This is a really interesting song. Research shows that Broken Bells stars Danger Mouse (aka Brian Burton), who is almost certainly a musical genius.
6. Man, I am getting old. I am pretty sure I heard this one on the radio when released (1967 - ouch). It is the music of my youth, so what's not to love? 2 additional comments: 1) The Small Faces are the precursor to Faces (Rod Stewart/Ron Woods/et. al.); 2) This song was on the soundtrack of a British film, "Severance," sort of a cross between "The Office" and "Texas Chainsaw Massacre." Seriously. (I liked it, of course...)
7. This is an awesome song! It reads like a slightly twangy Springsteen, without the crybaby lefty political leanings. In my opinion...
8. I, too, have really mixed feelings about spoken-word music. Some do it well - Lou Reed, for example - some use it to make some people happy that that particular artist has shuffled off his mortal coil (Jim Morrison - I am looking at you, or at least your grave in France). This one has really interesting lyrics and an interesting story to tell.
9. Another really excellent tune. I love the guitar in this one, though it makes for a dangerous driving song.
10. Modest Mouse. Hmm. (Does anyone know if this is in reference to Stephen King's "It?" It doesn't matter, I suppose. I will store this with my Madonna albums...)
11. I bet some of you remember a syndicated radio show of the 70's, and maybe the 80's, "Dr. Demento." Dr. Demento used to play interesting and novelty music, and I am pretty sure this was pretty regularly played. Love it.
12. Doc and son can do no wrong. This is a really cool tune, reminiscent of "Hot Rod Lincoln." It makes me want to chew Nicorette gum, for some reason...
Greg: Strong work! Just tone down the patriotism, and we'll all get along.
Also: The answer to the question posed in prologue: Yes.
Uncle Kyle
Your review was better than the album, I had to wipe away tears.
Greg
Greg,
First of all i have to apologize cus this is so outrageously late. It was not because of your songs it was simply that I didn't make it a priority to give you your review. Sorry dude. So here's my long overdue two cents.
1. Chicken and biscuits - like the song, despite it's country leanings. The verses I like more then the chorus (which to me is a bit hookey) but a nice starter.
3. Alcohaulin' Ass - Giving you points because this reminds me of 90's post-grunge rock (like Stone Temple Pilots). Btw, I've met me a few of these folks in my travels, and was actually one (when I visited Greg at Eastern). Sorry about that dude-
4. The House That Built Me - Another country song I like. This gal showed up on some else's disc in years past (probably yours) and honestly I disliked that song (she's from TX too!) This one redeems that track. 4th Fav
5. The High Road - This is a keeper! Like the Shins and a lot of what Danger Mouse has done. It's getting really popular down here on XM, but I think it's a great addition to our catalog. 2nd Fav
6. Itchycoo Park - I've heard this somewhere???? Like the oldtimey keyboards and simplisity of the song. Sound like it could be a lost track from Godspell.
7. Fourth of July - This one hit me between the eyes. Dave Alvin just doesn't get any credit, does he? Despite the pedal steel turning this rocker into a countryish tune, I really liked it. Great chorus that make me miss all of you. 3rd Fav
8 - Sorry dude, he could be reading from my autobiography and i'd still FF this one. Just don't like talking songs.
9. Brother Down - REDEMPTION! This is the winner! Like it, FAV on your disc and potentially FAV of the year. Great!!!
10. Was on Andy's UPOMS in 2006.
12. Smoke Smoke Smoke - Funny. Talking songs do work for me if they are funny and this works. 4th.
Have you quit?
Love ya bro-
1. I loved it, but after multiple listens I'm with Roger about the chorus.
2. Good "new country" tune hard to call it country, but still enjoyed it.
3. Two of my favorite things in the world, not a bad song either. :)
4. Song is just ok for me but add the story with your writeup gets me everytime. One of my favs.
5. Had them on my list for this year, but great "steal". Love the "futuristic" sound effects.
6. Depends on my mood if I like it or am annoyed by it.
7. Found myself singing Hey Baby it's the Fourth of July.
8. Another one I had planned on putting on my disc. Roger you contradict yourself about talking songs in your writeup this is a good one(you know I love a builder)
9. Those vocal and drums just draw me in great tune.
11. Now that's a crazy story, but when music gets rockin I like it.
12. Feel like the chorus could've been part of a commercial in the 50's. Smoke up Johnny!
For the records, my favorite(between 5,8,9) but I'm going with The Best of Time by Sage Francis
Andy, you need to learn how to R.E.A.D. If a song is FUNNY, then it works for me to be talky.
Another example (from Greg) is Dicks Automotive, and (from Brad) Down to the 'ol Pub instead. They work, for me.
If it's a serious song and you talk through it, save the studio time and publish a book of poetry, the added bonus would be saving space on my hard drive.
Love you anyway-
Roger/Andy:
Saucer of milk, table for two?
UK
Roger:
I don't smoke, unless I'm drinking.
You either do or you don't, it's not subjective. ;)
Kyle:
I think we should make it a table for three b/c we're the only ones who've been posting anything lately.
Post a Comment