Sunday, January 31, 2010

January 2010 - Roger

1. Mudhouse by Bob Schneider
2. Disappear by The Gabe Dixon Band
3. Down at McDonnellzzz by Electric Six
4. Baby by Robert Bradley’s Blackwater Surprise
5. A Walk through Hell by Say Anything
6. Dancing Choose by TV on the Radio
7. Glad and Sorry by Golden Smog
8. Sticky Situation by Danko Jones
9. Advice for Young Mothers To Be by The Veils
10. On and On by The Longpigs
11. Trouble Hunters by Astronautalis
12. Bartender by Rehab

3 comments:

Kyle A. Carr, M.D. said...

I am honored to be a 2010 UPOMS guest contributer. I am stoked! I spun Roger's disc immediately upon receipt and have found myself fast-addicted to the compilation. Groovy!
1. The chorus is undeniably catchy, (though I had to Google the lyrics. Dope and forties. Sure!)
2. Gorgeous!
3. Electric Six produced an album titled, "I Shall Exterminate Everything Around Me that Restricts Me From Being the Master." I haven't given this album a spin. I will. I must.
4. I keep spinning this song! Sweet, sweet seventies! (Robert Bradley's Blackwater Surprise covered a John Hiatt tune, "It'll Come to You," on a Hiatt tribute album of the same name. I love John Hiatt's music. Now I love Robert Bradley's Blackwater Surprise. Coincidence? I think not.)
5. Good tune. Life isn't fair.
6. TV on the Radio may have had a bad SNL performance. The all-time worst? Mick Jagger "frenching" Keith Richards ear. The stuff of nightmares...
7. Very Jayhawks-esque! (Jayhawks-ish?)
8. Unsafe for driving. Tres cool, though...
9. Dramatic, for darn sure.
10. Roger Daltrey-ish, or -esque. Who-y?
11. Obscure, for sure. Interesting, for sure.
12. "The world is a comedy to those who think, a tragedy to those who feel." (H. Walpole)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the thoughful write up guys. I really did dig Chris - with a posthole digger. Glad you liked it... NOW TOP IT!

Andy said...

This one was out of your "comfort zone", but that puts it right in my wheelhouse. You know what happens when you leave it in my wheelhouse? It gets knocked outta the park brother!

1. No dope, forties and no shorty... very sad, but what a way to start 2010. Love the "rapid" drums signaling the chorus. Tied 2nd fav.

2. First minute made me want to FFWD, but you know I'm a sucker for the "building" tunes and this is one. Lyrics are great.

3. Reminds me of Pharell Williams and the various bands he belongs too. Love the new age funk vibe.

4. Before the vocals come in I could swear it was a Lenny Kravitz tune. The vocals are so smooth and soulful.

5. Eh, more "teeny" vocals, can't get past to enjoy the message.

6. Love the energy and the horns. 3rd fav on this disc.

7. Brother this is your music and the only disappointment on this disc is I don't get more tunes that have your "vibe". Love the song and love UPOMS!

8. My fav on this disc!!! Crank it to 11 and make your neck sore. Nice guitar solo in the middle too.

9. 50-50 for me. Sometimes I like it and sometimes I don't.

10. Builds a little and can feel the emotion in his voice. Great addition.

11. Tied for 2nd fav. The voice hypnotizes me into a trance. I want trouble, so bring it!!

12. Must have experienced a great deal of pain to write that song. Makes me think of the movie Leaving Las Vegas.

Good album brother. For record keeping purposes my favorite song on your disc was Sticky Situation by Danko Jones, so that will be up against all the other tunes for favorite.