Wednesday, January 6, 2010

December 2009- Dylan

1. Wake Up- Arcade Fire
2. The Great Escape- Patrick Watson
3. Like U Crazy- Mates of State
4. Restaurant- The Thrills
5. Oh Mandy-The Spinto Band
6. Ramshackle Day Parade-Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros
7. Moon-Little People
8. Lessons Learned- Matt and Kim
9. Hey Ya- Obadiah Parker
10. Coney Island- The Good Old War
11. Pursuit if Happiness- Kid Cudi (ft. Ratatat)
12. Murder in the City- The Avett Brothers

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Son,

I was very impressed with you CD as you were compiling it. And Chris is right it is piano-heavy at times, but that doesn't take away from the excellent songs you put together. Like the obscurity of most of the artists and you put together a nice write-up. Overall it's a very listenable disc with what I feel could become a couple UPOMS classics. Here's what I think track by track

1. As I told you i wasn't really a huge fan of this song open first listen, but it has grown on me. Very unique band-

2. This is another one that was just so-so for me initially, but subsequent listens have done it justice.

3. Really liked this choice. I put them on my disc a couple years back, but this song is better then mine. Off harmonies are their sound.

4. This one was my 3rd favorite. This song is nearly perfect to me, i just wish the singer would stop trying to hard to sound emotional. It's a great tune.

5. just okay on this one.

6. 2nd favorite on the disc. When Kylie played this for me a year ago, i had know idea it was Joe Strummer from the Clash. What a great song, I would have put it on if you didn't. Classic

7. Like it. it's a great driving song as you say. Just a fun instrumental that blends well with the rest of the disc.

8. 4th favorite. I ignored this song the first couple times you were playing it because the beginning was annoying, but after the frist 45 sec. it's awsome. Love it.

9. Like to reinterpetation. Slowing a song down that's so hyper (like the original was) could have been suicide, but this guy pulled it off.

10. Another one that was up there in my book. Great harmonies and a nice gentle feel. good choice.

11. whatever

12. This one was my Fav.! Again, I think it could be a Classic. Great harmonies, great words. It's just a phenominal closer.

You da man dude! only a musician could put together this batch of great songs. I'm proud of you boy-

Andy said...

Since my first listen was with you during Christmas I was disappointed because I was being told before the song what was good or not. After I blocked all that out and listened by myself the disappointment melted away.

1. Don't know if a song can be slow and rockin' at the same time, but this one is. Love the "large group" singing and when the singer "shouting" the lyrics.

2. Like the piano which I'm sure had something to do with the selection, but I'm over the "Coldplay" sound, so this one is just ok for me.

3. I dig this one. Symbol heavy during the "off harmonies" as Chris puts it makes it sound like chaos then when the quiet voice and piano follow, love the change up.

4. Is that a ukelele? Doesn't matter love that high pitch guitar sound. This song has a peaceful sound that just relaxes me.

5. High pitch guitar sound again, but doesn't work as well with this singer's voice as the previous tune, so falls short because of placement for me.

6. First 1:30 almost had me falling asleep, but as UPOMS members know I like a building tune and this one does it for me, with a great guitar finish!

7. Almost has a haunting feel to it. I like it, but I think I would love it if it weren't for the "synthzier" drum sound.

8. Unlike your old man, the first 45 catches my ear b/c of the building feeling it gives. One of my favs on the disc.

9. Chris and Roger don't know jack this PALES in comparison to the original.

10. Another fav. Simple and to the point. Love when the claps come in.

11. Best on the disc. Cudi was going to make an apperance on my disc this year, but you beat me to it, well done.

12. #2 for me. The brothers were on my list for awhile, but never made the cut. Great tune.