1. The Ruminant Band by The Fruit Bats
2. Taller Children by Elizabeth & The Catapault
3. Somebody by Slightly Stoopid
4. What I Wouldn't Do by A Fine Frenzy
5. King of Carrot Flowers pt 1 by Neutral Milk Honey
6. Dance Me to the End of Love by Madeline Peyroux
7. The Fox (live from the Freight ans Salvage Nov 16, 2000) by Nickel Creek
8. In the Na by The Hidden Cameras
9. I am the Resurrection by The Stone Roses
10. King Kong by Simple Kid
11. Don't Haunt this Place by The Rural Alberta Advantage
12. Year of the Dog by Mike Doughty
BONUS Chip Lip Song by Chris Lussier
Monday, November 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Melissa,
Let me be first to compliment you on a great batch of unique songs - both in sound and obscurity. It's always fun to see how guest members interpret and extrapolate what they hear from all of us for 9months, yet always seem to bring their unique sounds to the mix. I was really taken with a few of your choices, while none really rubbed me the wrong way. So, good job girl. Here's my two cents.
1. I've heard of the Fruit Bats before, but didn't know what to expect - to me this song (maybe not the band) sounds like a cross between the Allman Bros. and the folkier aspects of Led Zep. Nice lead track
2.This song was so frustrating to me because, similarly to Andy's track 2, it starts great and I'm into the "Taller Chidren" hook - the horns come in and... the song goes in a totally different direction. It comes back around in the final seconds, but it's too late - lost me.
3. I like this song. Sounds like a Jack Johnson song with a heavy dose of groove, some sound effects and hip hop sensibilities. Nice change.
4. A Fine Frenzy is really popular with my daughter Kylie, but surprisingly I'd never heard this one. Got kinda a backwoods hoedown feel to it. It just bounces along -and how many whistle solo's do you hear nowadays. Very pleasant.
5. I knew this song well. I flirted with adding this song to my disc in the past. Another great tune is Two Headed Boy. Weird band, with some strange ideas. This is one of their most catchy and assessible songs in their catalog. I'm so glad you included it! 4th fav (only because I heard it before)
6. Upright bass. punchy piano. sashaying drums. Yup, that's jazz. And we just don't see enough of it in our club. Risky girl, but it pays off. good stuff. The T Monk style piano solo is great!
7. I'm just so-so with this track. The musicians are incredible!!!! Mandolin, banjo, violin all superb-It was the morphing in of B. Dylan's tune that was disconcerting for me. It came back around but was too jarring.
8. Another risk. Very unusual song, almost theatrical- It just gave me nothing to hold onto. 'In The Na' repeatedly just wasn't enough to chew on. Intially impressed, but subsequent listens hurt it.
9. Great recovery. Great band and fun, catchy track. These bloks were real shits when they were at the top of their game. Once when their record company put out an unauthorized video the band went to their offices and painted everything in it - including the label head and his wife! Easy to see where Sloan got it's influence. 3rd FAV.
10. This song is AWESOME!!!! FAV on the disc. The drummer is on something, he's nearly playing a different song? The cello backdrop and the female vocals that come in. This is my second favorite Guest member song OF ALL TIME, next to "Take Your Medicine" by Cloud Cult. A very exciting surprise girl, thank you-
11. I didn't know that Soul Coughing had split. Nice to see Mike playing on. Great song, with a totally different sound then S.C. Again with the cello in the backgound, but this time it's being abused. Really liked to discover this one too! 2nd FAV.
12. Sorry Chris - no comment
Thanks for sharing your music with us Melissa. I was happy we voted you in this year.
Post a Comment