1. Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears– Sugarfoot:
2. Muse – Uprising:
3. The Dig Angess – Werewolf, Therewolf:
4. Cage the Elephant – Ain’t No Rest for the Wicked
5. Scott H. Biram – Blood, Sweat and Murder
6. Toadies – No Deliverance
7. At the Drive-in – One Arm Scissor
8. Saul Williams – List of Demands(Reparations):
9. Silversun Pickups – Panic Switch
10. Shiny Toy Guns – Le Disko
11. Franz Ferdinand – No You Girls
12. Phoenix - 1901
Monday, November 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Andy I enjoyed this disk and did not guess one song correctly, so all obscure to me. Good job. It was a heavy, rocket fuel charged ride, not for the faint of heart. Most of the songs I liked a lot but as you will tell from my review I think it could have been a little more diverse. I though you put a lot of time in finding these musicians as you always do so it’s always a fun first listen.
1. Get down…get back up…get down again…get back up…clap your hands…wiggle your knees…hop…shake your head…snap your fingers…do the chicken dance…and repeat three times!!!!
2. Funk/Soal into techo/snap/trance. Very big song transitions here but it works for me. “They will not control, us we will be victorious!!!”
3. Nice Hillbilly/Punk/Crank/Surf song. Even has a werewolf howl in the background, which adds a nice touch.
4. I think my favorite song on your disk. Love the steel guitar work, then it starts to pick up in the middle. Lots of interesting sounds to listen to that hide themselves in the background until you really listen to it.
5. Same length as song 4. Don’t really care for his voice too much and did not get much out of this tune, sorry.
6. Andy you started out very strong but the last two selections are not some of your strongest songs to date.
7. You righted the ship here, this song even mentions oxygen tanks which is a good sign! Heavy tune and a good transition in the middle. I bet they put on a good show.
8. More techno sounding music, so far I am surprised by all the hard driving, in your face music. I like this song, kind of hypnotic sounding. I bet his voice is annoying to some people but not to me. “Wa, Wa, Wa, Wahh. Wa, Wa, Wa, Wahh. “
9. Great song!!!!…more techno sounds and cool driving guitar, reminds me a little of The Cure, except for the voice.
10. More techno sounds. The first time I listened to it I had it cranked up to eleven, was jamming banging my head around, getting all fired up, blood pressure pumping. Then all of a sudden there was a quick stop in the beat and silence for a quick second. I thought I was having a stroke…whew that was weird. Next time ease up on the techno stuff, I can’t handle it.
11. Just ok tune, something I could probably enjoy at a disco all hyped up on Red Bull and Vodka.
12. Why not end it with a techno beat???? I did enjoy this song though ☺
This was written by Chris but he had me post:)
Andy,
I've already shared with you that I thought your disc was great. It's got a ton of great energy to it and a lot of unique bands, songs and sounds, but as I told yo many of those sounds blened into one another which for me lessend their individual impact. So your disc would have benefited from two things: diversity and song order. Other then that and a distaste for tracks 5 and 6, i thought it was easily your best disc.
1. Love it! one of the alltime great lead off tracks of any UPOMS disc. Some would say a complete robbery of James Brown, I'd like to call it the best homage I've ever heard - with a dash of Ray Charles to boot.
2. Great song. Fun atmospherics to it and agree with Michi - trancelike. However it's great to the 3:30 mark, then wears out it's welcome at over 5 mins.
3. Like the great vocals and driving beat. Perfect compliment to Halloween. Just a real interesting song that's catching and strange.
4. 2nd favorite. Lo-fi to start with a clip clop rhyming rap that explodes with a rubbery bass and steel guitar flourishes. Love the muted trumpet solo. Again, strange White Strips feel to this great song.
5. FF
6. too much like 5 and the reverbed vocals quickly annoy. I like the toadies and i know you really like that band, so understand their inclusion - it just didn't work for me. sorry dude.
7. What a recovery! Started out a little sketchy, but patience brings rewards. The chorus is killer with the vocalist having a apoplectic fit. You're hooked by the 1:26 mark. This is my Fav and one or my fav of 2009.
8. 4th Fav. Crazy, but this songs work in spite of itself. Let's face it, if you weren't a UPOMER who hears strange songs, most of the going public would call this shit. It's such a twisted, driving trip. Like they gave a serial killer some studio time before he took the long walk down death row. Great!
9. This is the tune I thought had a Garbage sound to them. Great drums and bass foundation, with a reverbed guitar pulling you in. Great lazy girl vocals. like it.
10. Heard before, but like it so much I almost bought a Cadillac. JK. It's a fun Dance track that it is a much needed departure from the feel of the other songs. Like the previous song, love the girl's vocals.
11. Heard this one before too. BUT WHAT A GREAT SONG. Franz is unique band, not a guy dude. They started with the look and style of the band being as important as the music- and these guys STARTED the band in their early 30's. 3rd FAV
12. Back to the Techo dance tune, and this a great one. I have a couple Phoenix tunes. but have only hear this in passing somewhere??? It's just a great closer.
I was impressed, still am. good job bro!
Post a Comment