Monday, June 29, 2009

June 2009 - Greg

1. Hummingbird by Leon Russell
2. Cosmic Debris (live) by Frank Zeppa
3. Homework by Peter Wolf
4. Virginia, No One Can Warn You by Tift Merritt
5. That's Whats Wrong With Me by Spur 305
6. Drunk Lullaby by Redbird
7. Railroad Bill by Crooked Still
8. I Don't Know by Lisa Hannigan
9. More by Tyrone Wells
10. Driftin' In The Wind by Bart Crow Band
11. Ain't Gonna Lose You by Brett Dennen
12. Your Own Sweet Way by The Notting Hillbillies

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Greg,

Sorry it's taken me soooooo long to give my review. My list of excuses would be longer then my review so I'll just say I've been busy. That doesn't reflect in any way the quality of your choices, however as you told me when you handed me your disc, these songs aren't really my bag. And you're right, they're not, but the 12 are not without some standouts, so here goes-

1) Hummingbird - I was very pleasantly surprised by this song. Sounds like it could be a song by The Band. 4th fav.

2)Cosmic Debris - Sadly I am not very aware of Zappa's music. This song made me want to explore his catalog in more detail. Funny, Catchy, Quirky. Another surprise.

5) That's What's Wrong With Me - despite wearing it's genre (not a big fan of country) on it's sleeve, it's a very truthful, clever tune that i like in spite of myself.

6) Drunk Lullaby - As a morning after, mellow chill song, it works.

7) Railroad Bill - just okay for me, but the banjo work stood out, so noteworthy for that.

8) I Don't Know - A buidling song with great orcastration. Love the trumpet. It's a welcoming song to me. 3rd fav.

9) More - Reminds me Daughtry a bit, with vocals like The Script.
2nd fav.

11) Ain't Gonna lose you - B.D. seems to be the UPOMS artist of choice. This one doesn't dissapoint. Sad, soulful. fav on the disc.

On the risk of sounding like some kind of Overloard or something, it would have been nice to have a little more of a write up.