Monday, April 13, 2009

April 2009 - Chris AKA Dr. Gray

Intro Artist: Dr. Gray
1. Brown Liquor Artist: Sweet Betty
2. Budos Rising Artist: The Budos Band
3. Time To Pretend Artist: MGMT
4. Cranky Artist: WinterPills
5. Spiraling Artist: Keane
6. Travelin’ Shoes Artist: Elvin Bishop
7. Fitzcarraldo Artist: The Fra
8 Rock The Rhythm Artist: Love Trio In Dub
9. Sweet Emotion Artist: Leo Kottke & Mike Gordon
10. Cathedral Artist: Moe
11. Innocence Artist: The Airborne Toxic Event
12. Big Rigs, Big Women Artist: Breaker 19

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris,

I always anticipate your discs with a sense of overwhelming excitement and suicidal dread. Just kidding. You’re eclectic music choices can be like smoking –it gives you a buzz and makes you look cool. But really your stunting your growth and dying from the inside out. Okay enough pontificating. I think this is your best disc so far. As always, it’s all over the place, but in a great way.

Intro – put on the headphone folks, totally different experience. The “Wild Turkey” line makes me laugh everytime. Great dude.

1. Brown Liquor – I get into true blues songs like bluegrass, hot and cold. Either it works for me or I start looking for the FF button. This one worked big time. Liquor, liquor, liquor, liquor, liquor. 4th fav.

2. The Budos Band – Not too many instrumentals in UPOMS. I like the rollicking, jazz feel to this. Especially at the end with the trumpet and droning keyboards.

3. Time to Pretend – Been hearing about this band and have been curious. This one was a pleasant surprise. Lots of drug references, but can’t deny it’s catchy “wall of sound” feel.

4. Cranky – nice mellow break. Reminds me of the singer/songwriters from the 70’s- the best decade for rock and roll. Easy listening acoustic guitar with a melodious voice ranks as my 2rd favorite.

5. Spiraling – Knocked it outta the park! This is not only my fav on your disc, but my favorite track so far this year. It’s got this weird melding of Disco, 80’s and the soaring EMO vocals you hear nowadays. Great Song

6. Travelin’ Shoes – Was waiting for your Jam Band selection and this one was good. Not great, but solid.

7. Fitzcarraldo – I’ve been a Frames fan for a while, way before he hit it big with his famous Falling Slowly solo song. I’ve got an album by them and this song would fit right in along with those tracks.

8. Rock The Rhythm – Normally a Dub fan. This song just didn’t go anywhere for me. No decernable hook I could latch onto.

9. Sweet Emotion – Remakes just almost never work for me. I know I had a remake of Summer Breeze on #1, but every single remake since then just fell flat for me. This one is one of the worst. I love you, so I can say that. Sorry dude.

10. Cathedral – Nice recovery. I have a couple moe. tracks in my library and this ranks up with them. I was happy to see them included. Again, very good choice.

11. Innocence – Another Big Surprise for me. Starts out with the classical intro (like the Cloud Cult often does) but turns into this loud, outta control punk sounding number. Fought for the 3rd spot as my favorite, but the softest song best the loudest.

12.Big Rigs, Big Women – Funny country Trucker sounding tune. Just a big laugh is all I can say. Your style of music totally.

Lotta time went into your choices I can tell. Great disc dude. Huge contributor to the wild and weird in the UPOMS cannon.

Andy said...

Seems like the group is starting to really slack off on the reviews, so here's review number 2 for you bro.

1. Intro - best one yet, could decipher the sounds and appreciate Sunshine snorting for more attention. Then you flush the toilet letting us know what to expect from the rest of the album.:)

2. Brown Liquor - From your description of this "woman" she should be called Sweaty Betty instead. Great soulful blues addition.

3. Budos Rising - Nice instrumental that reminds me of Roger's 70's cop show theme song. Love the "chorus" part with the high pitch organ(?).

4. Time To Pretend - Fav on the disc! Love that high pitch organ(?) and distorted lower organ(?). Head always grovin' to this one. Everything must run it's course

5. Cranky - Cranky isn't not a friend of mine. But I'm not hitting FF when I hear it either.

6. Spiraling - Heard some other stuff from this band and wasn't really impressed, but the shoe is on the other foot now. Just goes to show gotta dig deep to find the real gems. 4th fav on the disc.

7. Travelin' Shoes - JAM ON!!! 3rd fav on the disc. Love the voice with the guitar, perfect meld. "Wanna get Hank Aaron's baseball bat and tenderize her head." HILARIOUS!!

8. Fitzcarraldo - Can't forget that voice, such emotion in it.

9. Rock the Rythm - Think these guys need to lay off the weed and concentrate a little more on the music.

10. Sweet Emotion - Mike Gordon is brilliant and the banjo is prefect, but you remake a classic you better knock it out of the stadium and this is like a botched suicide squeeze.

11. Cathedral - Like it. A bunch of little build ups from chorus to chorus.

12. Innocence - Well how you felt about Frankenreiter I feel about Airborne. You may be seeing more from this band in the future. 2nd fav on the disc, like usual, love the build.

13. Big Rigs, Big Women - No Big Orange Nightmare, but classic you none the less.

Well done brother another great album from the Doctor.

NOW WHERE'S MY MAY DISC!!!!!!

Alicia said...

Chris, great CD! Best intro. yet. I also laugh hard at the Wild Turkey comment, as do the kids.

1. Brown Liquor- this instantly became a Upoms classic. Love the voice.

2. Budos Rising- Aother 70's cop show song. I like to listen for a minute, then have to ff.

3. Time to Pretend- Dig this tune. Has a Cheap Trick feel to it.

4. Cranky- Melodic- and very poetic, "How do you get rid of love when its painted onlike a glove..."

5. Spiraling- David Bowie-ish. Good song, but I'm def. as enthusiastic as Roger! LOL

6.Travelin' Shoes-- What a sweet song! Maybe my fav. on disc.

7. Fitzcarraldo- Also a fav. Love the drums.

8. Rock the Rhythm- OK song. Like the mix sound.

9. Sweet Emotion. Cool to hear a diff. version, but didn't do much for me.

10. Cathedral- Reminds me of Phish. Like.

11. Innocence- As you know I am putting an ATE song on my CD. THis is my new fav band. I still like my song more than yours, but yours is way good too. Lov ethe build up they provide. Favorite on disc!!!!!!!!!

12. Big Trucker, Fat Lady song- song sorta sucks. I never fast forward it, but I think it's kinda cheesy.

Overall, I enjoy listening to your CD. It's had 2 months of play time. Just got Donna's in the mail and yours will be archived so I can work on the next review. ha ha.

Love ya!

Alicia said...

Correction to song 5. That would be NOT as enthusiastic as Roger.