1. Hectic Pride - The Mountain Goats
2. Naive - The Kooks
3. The Booty Don't Stop - Poem Adept
4. This Town - O.A.R.
5. This Time - I'm Gonna Try It My Way
6. The Ballad of Easy Rider - The Byrds
7. Put a Little Love in it (According to John) - Ike Reilly
8. Ollie and Dellilah - Testa Rosa
9. Greetings to the New Brunette - Billy Bragg
10. Memphis Soul Stew - King Curtis and the Kingpins
11. Trudy - The Charlie Daniels Band
12. Hello Detroit - Sammy Davis Jr.
Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Your review will be coming. I've gotten caught up on all the rest I've missed. So be patient, the kids and dogs are driving me crazy. :)
Roger,
Sorry it has taken me so long to comment. Hard to believe this is year 4. Kind of neat to see how UPOMS is evolving. Thanks for starting this OVERLORD (wear your title with pride!!!!)
1. I love it. His voice is great, I like how he is almost speaking instead of belting out notes. Good choice:)
2. From the first strums of the guitar I can picture you dancing around to this song. Makes me happy because this song has your stamp on it.
3. What can I say, this song reminds me of driving in your car while we were in Cabo. It makes me smile, not just because of the lyrics but because of the fond memories I have of our trip!!!
4. Not a stand out for me. Don't dislike it though.
5. It sure does have that vibe to it! Can't wait to see your name on the big screen.
6. Love the simplicity
7. Had me from the title. Can't we all just put a little love in it????
8. Totally 80's vibe. Great choice!
9. I think this is my fav. on the whole disc. Thanks for the introduction.
10. I just think of the "Blues Brothers" when I hear it.
11. I can see all of my brothers drinkin' and playin euchre to this song. Makes me smile at the thought!
12. I bust out laughing to this song each time I hear it....SERIOUSLY, cheesy, classic.
I love the write-up Bro gives each song a whole different vibe while listening.
1. Not as good as last year's Goats tune, but there is something about his voice that captivates me.
2. Have heard of the Kooks, but never heard them. Good song, will have to check this band out more.
3. Fun lyrics, but overall the song doesn't work for me because the singers voice is weak/off key something that just doesn't sound right.
4. Favorite on the disc. Have heard a few of O.A.R.'s songs and this is the best I've heard. "Put 'em up let me hear it loud"...like all the way to 11? YES, crank it up f***ers!!!
5. 3rd fav on the disc. Your spot on with your analysis of the theme music. But listen closely folks and it kinda has the feel of nuber 12 to it, makes you think.
6. Good tune, but I would expect nothing less from The Byrds.
7. 2nd fav on the disc. Singer's voice not great, but perfect for this song. Set him self on fire, flesh cracks and flakes, I'll put a lot of love in it so it doesn't bring me down. Wake up Chris!
8. Music good, signing annoys me, kinda whiny, skip.
9. Billy, no thanks. Too many questionable voices in a row was the downfall for this one. Maybe would like it a little more in a different lineup.
10. Brilliant musicians and what a recipe. I know this tune wasn't just whipped up in a frenzy, it was stewed over many hours...delicious!
11. Charlie, you long haired country genius. No fiddle as Roger pointed out to me, but some great ivory. Every song he signs makes me think it's a true story.
12. Big band, big sound but not big cheese for this guy. Keep saying those prayers Sammy, the D could use 'em.
First time through this disc I wasn't impressed, but as you can see from my write-up my feelings greatly changed. Good job Bro! NOW WHERE IS MY FEBRUARY DISC:)
Roger,
I'm so glad Ginger is delayed, I needed time. Your CD has been unavailable to us for awhile. But I got it back and am ready to rock. I think this is your best CD by far and maybe one of the tops overall.
1. Mountain Goats- ***** I really love this song. Dance on! Thanks for introducing this band. His voice is really recognizable. Great intro.
2. The Kooks- *** Like the drums. Ov-all good sounds.
3. Poem Adept- * Now, the real reason I haven't posted is because I've been tortured by this song. JK- So you must think I'm a prude. Anyway, does anyone hear constant farting sounds in this song. I only hear them when listening on the computer.
4. OAR- **** Catchy tune. I really like OAR. Had never heard this tune.
5. DJ Shadow- **** Ya the first thing I think of is a 70's cop show. Great song though. With this song as the lead, the show will be a hit!
6. The Byrds- *** This reminds me of John Denver. We should all be up in the mountains, hangin out.
7. Ike Reilly- **** I love this song! Sounds a lil like Flaming Lips. Good addition.
8. Testa Rose ** Not my fav. OK song. Yes, like the Go Go's.
9. Billy Bragg ** Billy is a little slow and boring...
10. King Curtis ****1/2 Reminds me so much of the song Skinny Legs (the ole blues one). A nice addition to the tradionally R & R selections.
11. Charlie Daniels ***** Fav song on CD. I'm really glad you added this. Super catchy and rockin! Makes me want to go to the corner bar and get drunk!
12. Sammy Davis *** I'm super suprised you added this, with all the complaints about the Michigan songs. And I think Kwame got ahold of your CD, saw how much appreciation the southern D was sending and moved your way. Thanks!
Great CD, I had fun reviewing it. I'm just gonna put Trudy on repeat!
Bring on Ginger's.
Roger,
I also enjoyed your very thoughtful write-up. I am trying to be better about writing reviews this year. I know I am little behind but better late than never. so here we go.
1-I liked it, but doesn't compare to last year's song by them I stlil find myself singing "I am gonna make it through this year" especially when doing work I am not too fond of.
2- at first I was not fond of this one but the more I listen to it it grows on me
3- Is this my theme song? I thought this song was hilarious. You are right. Until you really listen to the words you don't realize it's not just another puppy love song
4- Love this song.
6- Kinda sounds like Tom Petty to me. I like Tom Petty.
7-This song just makes me happy- maybe one of my favs
8-I really like this one- not sure what it is that pulls me towrds it I think it's just the beat and harmony
9- I feel like I've heard this before not sure where-but I love it!
11-Can never go wrong with Charlie!
12- Always a fan of Sammy- even if the song is about Detroit :)
Post a Comment