Wednesday, September 24, 2008

September 2008 - Andy

1. Black Keys - I Got Mine
2. Peter Bjorn & John - Objects of My Affection
3. Simple Kid - Lil' King Kong
4. Gorillaz - Every Planet We Reach is Dead
5. Ozomatli - Magnolia Soul
6. Annuals - Complete or Completing
7. Newton Faulkner - Teardrop
8. I Am Kloot - Twist
9. Langhorne Slim - The Honeymoon
10. Band of Horses - Marry Song
11. Mando Diao - Ochrasy
12. The Raconteurs - Carolina Drama

2 comments:

Michelle said...

1. I feel the midwest blues!
2. Like it a lot. It does kind of sound like a military march. Good pick!
3. From the beginning I felt like I was in the south...but then when he start singing not so much. I really enjoyed this one:)
4. I don't know...it kind of reminds me of a scene in a movie where people are doing drugs!
5.Beginning ind of sounds like funk. Fun song "let the good times roll"!
6.Love it!!!!
7.I love Newton Faulkner. I have one of his for my next UPOMS. Thanks so much for sharing him!!!! You are a great writer as well Rooney love the imagery in your writeup:)
8. Beginning reminded me of the Beatles. Not so Beatle-esque much with the f bomb lyrics:)
10. I like the line "when you smile the sun it peeks through the clouds"
11.My favorite on the whole disc!
12. Poor Billy and his little brother! Very depressing but I was sucked in and had to hear the ending. Good choice.

Anonymous said...

Dude, this is easily my favorite of your discs so far. I really dug that you came up with some unique bands here. I only had one out of the whole set that didn't work for me- but the rest are all great!!! hard to pick a favorite. And breaking our agreed upon 'positive comments only' guideline – AT YOUR REQUEST I'll tell you why that tune don't work (for me).

1. I Got Mine - great starter. Blues stomper with sweet gutteral guitar hook. Reminds me of Cream with a backwoods swagger.

2. Objects of My Affection -I have Dylan diggin' The Smiths and he immediately thought this was one of their tunes. It sorta a cross between them (singer) and early Simple Minds. With those bands both favs of mine, I liked it right off.

3. Lil' King Kong - my 3rd fav. It's got such a unique sound. It's not Country, not really Rock. It's just a catchy gem. nice.

4 - Every Planet... :( Not workin' for me. Granted it's a sound not heard before - wannabe avantgard lounge/jazz that gave me a strong impulse to FF.

5 - Magnolia Soul - And he comes back with a winner. Hip Hop with Funk sensibilities. Cross between Ton Loc and Sly and the family Stone. Great!

6 - Complete or Completing - this song took me so long to warm up to. still have a problem with it's length, but the chorus works.

7 - Teardrop - this one pissed me off. I HAD this song (the orignal) in my UPOMS candidates. Originally done by a band called Massive Attack. this version has a different vibe, but can't help but like it. Bad choice, good song.

8 - Twist - Now this is a lounge/jazz wannabe that works. Strange subject? but do like it's unique sound.

9 - The Honeymoon - this reminds me of the Kinks and the popier songs from the Animals for some reason. Like it's late 60's vibe.

10 - Marry song - 2nd fav on the disc. holy crap these guys are channeling one of my fav. bands, The Jayhawks. like this one much!

11 - ochrasy - probably my 4th fav. great vocals, espec. in the chorus. reminds me of nobody, but somehow I feel it should, know what I mean? Like the rawness - acoustic guitar, bass, vocals.

12 - Carolina Dream - fav on the disc. what can I say, it's all good, the story, the structure, the creepy angels backing up the interludes. And the end. Halloween song. GREAT

this disc is my vibe of music. really liked that you really dug deep to find us new stuff. Awesome job!!!!