1. Squares by The Beta Band
2. Florida by Mofro
3. I Got It (What You Need) by Galactic
4. Witless or Wise by Neil Halstead
5. Colors by Kira Willey
6. Jesus Promised Me a Home Over There by Jennifer Hudson
7. The Old Days by Dr. Dog
8. Scene Stolen by Mr. Baber's Neighbors
9. Clay Pigeons by John Prine
10. Like a Song by Lenka
11. Thrift Store T-shirt by Brent Jordan
12. They Tried to Break You, 2.0 by Flight Crash Companion
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Way to go Mary. super finish to 2008:)
1. Never saw the Show Life but I want to now.
2. Nice shout out to your home state! It doesn't really remind me of Florida probably because I always think of the beach and Jimmy Buffet. Fun.
3. A little hard for my taste but I can picture Andy dancin' around. That thought makes me smile and miss you both:)
4. I loved the title before even listening to it. Relaxing...one of my favorites on the disc.
5. I love this commercial because of this song. Thanks for the addition. Have you ever taken the color personality quiz? It's kind of fun!
6. Great gospel addition. wow she sure can sing!
7. Super fun song. It just sounds happy. Thanks:)
8. Outstanding banjo playing! YEEHAW~ love it!!!
9. His voice reminds me of Bob Dylan. I've never heard of him before. Thanks for the introduction!
10. Loved your comment on this one...yes we are becoming cartoon aficionados but have heard of Lenka before:) Don't have this tune from her though! Nice.
11. There really is something special about a broken in t-shirt. His voice reminds me of the lead singer of Hootie and the Blowfish. Love it too.
12. Sad sounding song. Like to listen to The Old Days after this one.
Have a great trip to Florida!!!
What a great year of music 2008 has brought us. Looking forward to listening in 2009!!!!
Mary. I was so happy to hear that you went for a truly obscure batch of songs. Even if they were all country tunes (but still obscure) I would have been happy. But then you went and put together this great batch of tunes from acts (for the most part) I've heard of, but have rarely heard. It's one of the more moody and atmospheric sets (in a good way) we've seen so far in our clubs, so great job girl!
1.Squares - have one tune from the Beta Band, from the High Fidelity movie, but this one is just as good.
2.Florida - Never heard of them, but like the turn and very sad lyrics about the sunshine state.
3.I Got It - Had this song from a free download at Starbucks. Often thought of including it, but never found the right spot previously.
4.Witless or Wise - Layed back singer/songerwriter tune. Just like it
5. colors - this is a fav from everyone in this house. I like it because of it's lilting simplicity.
6. Jesus Promised... - Love the gospel inclusion into our club, but not my style so much.
7. The old days - Third fav on the disc. Cross between The Flaming Lips and Vampire Weekend.
8. Scene stolen - i keep warming up to bluegrass everytime I hear it. fun tune-
9. Clay Pigeons - 2nd song by John Prine, but a great addition. Sad song that seems to be about redemption?
10. Like A Song - It's a music box tune crafted into a song. The Booker T kids and I like this one, don't think the rest of fam does.
11. Thrift Store T-shirt - fav song on the disc. Hootie and B-fish single that should have been. Great song.
12. The Tried to Break... - I'm the only one here who likes this song. Again, very moody, but it's dark and nine inch nails sound is appealing (strange too, because I don't like NIN)?
This is not a FUN mix by any stretch, but it's very, very interesting... too me.
I'll give Mary an offical write up after unoffically telling her my comments.
1. You know when you hear a song and either try to remember it, write it down or in Michelle's case leave a message well that's what happened with this song. We were watching LIFE on tv and both of us were looking for a paper and pen to write down lyrics so we could try and find out what it was. That should tell you how much I like this tune.
2. Tune that sticks with me. Something about the way he says Flor-i-da and love the keyboard.
3. Good tune with good beat. Didn't like it at first, but grew on me in a good way. And I'll take your dollars, pennies, pounds, but you can keep your pesos.
4. Nice and calm, soothing even. Great singer, great song.
5. This one is just fine, but I think I like her caterpillar, caterpillar song better.
7. At first didn't like this song because the singers voice sounded a little whiny, but it has become a fav on the disc.
8. I work with the bassist(he sings in this one too), what can I say I like a good bluegrass tune and this is one, another fav.
9. GREAT SONG. His voice is great and could listen to him sing anything. Great addition and fav on the disc.
11. Love the metaphor in this one. Honey, your my thrift store t-shirt. Moo-wah!
12. Reminds me of a sound that I listened to in high school, but I'm having a hard time "remembering" where I heard a tune like this or what I might have been doing when I heard it. No matter, liked it then and I like it now.
OK Mary, I figured it out. I'm happy now. Just for the record EVERYONE, I did review, just emailed it to Mary. Ha Ha.
Also Mary, one thing I really liked about your CD was that none of your bands had been used before. Good Job!
Post a Comment